Provision of Legal Services
- Unregulated legal services
Under the Legal Services Act 2007 Laura Brunnen (the trading name for The Legal Strategist Limited) (the “Company” or “we”) is permitted to provide unregulated legal services in England and Wales without being a law firm authorised and regulated by the Solicitors’ Regulation Authority (the “SRA”).
The SRA is the regulator of solicitors and law firms in England and Wales.
Laura Brunnen (“Laura”) - our founder and director - is a qualified solicitor in England and Wales and is authorised and regulated by the SRA in her personal capacity under SRA ID 293414.
- Why we aren’t regulated by the SRA
SRA regulation isn’t necessary unless certain "reserved" legal activities are carried out and brings with it increased overheads and admin. Based on our client and services profile, we’ve decided to operate under the new model for delivering unreserved legal services in the UK which the SRA introduced on 25th November 2019.
Where SRA regulation is appropriate
Clients are consumers
Client money is being handled
Reserved legal services* are provided
Why the Company isn’t regulated
Our clients are not consumers
We don’t handle client money
We only provide unreserved legal services (non-contentious commercial legal advice)
* These are exercising rights of audience (the right to appear before a court), conducting litigation, preparing certain documents relating to probate and conveyancing, acting as a notary and administering oaths.
- Why Laura maintains her personal SRA regulation
Both the Company and Laura recognise the importance of the protections afforded to our Consultancy clients by Laura’s continued professional status as a solicitor regulated and authorised by the SRA. These include:
- The requirement for Laura’s continuous professional learning and development
- Her continued accreditation as a solicitor
- Her continued adherence to the ethical and professional standards applicable to solicitors as set out in the SRA Principles and the SRA Code of Conduct for Solicitors. These are available on the Solicitors Regulation Authority's website, www.sra.org.uk.
- Legal privilege continuing to apply to legal advice correspondence between you and Laura (see below for more on this)
- Is Laura my solicitor?
When you work with us on a Consultancy basis, the Company provides you with unreserved legal services and Laura is acting as your solicitor.
Laura is not acting as your solicitor when:
- She provides general legal tips or comments over email or on social media platforms
- You work with her 1:1 in a Legal Clarity Session (“LCS”) or a Legal Strategy Consult (“LSC”),
but you benefit from all of the same expertise and insight and Laura will work with you to her usual high standards.